What Is Section 70
In section 69
(1) The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare any computer resource which directly or indirectly affects the facility of Critical Information Infrastructure, to be a protected system.
(2) The appropriate Government may, by order in writing, authorize the persons who are authorized to access protected systems notified under sub-section ‘1’.
(3) Any person who secures access or attempts to secure access to a protected system in contravention of the provisions of this section shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years and shall also be liable to fine.
(4) The Central Government shall prescribe the information security practices and procedures for such protected system.
For the purposes of this section, “Critical Information Infrastructure” means the computer resource, the incapacitation or destruction of which, shall have debilitating impact on national security, economy, public health or safety.
Punishment Of Section 70
Fine leviable within six years, or during imprisonment—Death not to discharge property from liability.—The fine, or any part thereof which remains unpaid, may be levied at any time within six years after the passing of the sentence, and if, under the sentence, the offender be liable to imprisonment for a longer period than six years, then at any time previous to the expiration of that period; and the death of the offender does not discharge from the liability any property which would, after his death, be legally liable for his debts.
Source: Punishment Of Section 70
Cases Of Section 70
There are some cases of section 70-
- Hindustan Tia Co. v. A. Shashikant. and another.
- State Of West Bengal v. B.K Mondal And Son.
- Union Of India v. Sita Ram Jaiswal.
- Mulamchand v. State Of Madhya Pradesh.
- Union Of India v. Sahab Sing.
- Raj Sarogi v. American Express (I) Pvt. Ltd.
- Punjabhai v. Bhagwandas Kisandas.
Also read :- Section 65, Tampering with computer source Documents