What is Data Center?
- It is a centralized repository of the information in a highly organized manner.
- In this case dissemination of data and information is also possible.
- It is considered as highly secure and fault resistance facilities.
- Various e.g. are ISP or wireless application service provider.
- The major purpose of data center is to provide space & bandwidth connectivity for servers in a highly reliable, secure & scalable environment.
Data centers are essentially a physical spaces that companies use to store critical data and applications. A data center’s design relies on network computing and storage resources that allow for shared applications and data delivery. Data center design is based on routers and switches, firewalls, storage systems, servers, and controllers for application delivery.
Data Center falls into following 2 main categories:
Private Data Centre
Public Data Centre
Private Data Center: It is also known as an enterprise data center. It is exclusively managed by the organization’s own IT department.
Public Data Center: It is also known as an Internet data center. It is maintained by third-party organizations. It is based on Internet principles.
What are the facilities provided by the Data Center?
1. Database Monitoring
This task is performed by the DBA which ensures regarding organized saving of information and in a highly organized manner.
2. Web Monitoring
It indicates the management & monitoring of website performance, their availability integrity.
3. Back-Up & Restore
- It is also responsible to provide the facility of backup and restoration of the information.
- Back up mean duplicate copy of the original data.
- Restoration means recovery of data from the crashed memory devices.
4. Intrusion Detection System
- It is considered as an art of detecting inappropriate and incorrect activities.
- A system, which is responsible to detect the malicious transaction as host (server) is known as Host-Based ID System.
- Systems that operate on network data flows are called Network-Based ID Systems.
- The term intrusion is used to describe attacks from the outside whereas misuse is used to describe an attack that originates from the internal network.
5. Storage on Demand
- It provides the facility of centralized storage of information. It ensures the availability of the data.
- As data is centralized it indicates up-to-date information at any point of time.
- Thus it indicates multi-user environment.
What are the requirements for data center infrastructure standards?
ANSI/TIA-942, the most popular standard for data centre design and infrastructure, is widely accepted. It contains standards for ANSI/TIA-942 readiness certification. This ensures compliance to one of four categories rated for redundancy or fault tolerance.
Tier1: A basic site infrastructure. A Tier1 data center offers limited protection from physical events. It has components of single capacity and a single distribution path that is non-redundant.
Tier 2, Redundant capacity component site infrastructure. This Data Center offers better protection against physical incidents. It includes redundant-capacity components, as well as a single distribution path that is nonredundant.
Tier 3:Maintainable, concurrently-operable site infrastructure.This data center is capable of protecting against all types of physical events. It has redundant-capacity components as well as multiple distribution routes. The components can be easily removed and replaced without interrupting the services of end users.
Tier 4: Fault-tolerant site infrastructure. This data center has the highest levels redundancy and fault tolerance. Redundant-capacity parts and multiple independent distribution pathways allow concurrent maintainability without downtime.
What are the features of Data Center?
Size :It is quite large in size. It may consist of hundred to several thousand servers. This would require a minimum area of 5000 to 30000 square meters. Thus there is a need for high-quality constructions.
Data Security: This point indicates the maximum data security and 100% availability of data at any point of time. Data security should be covered on both aspects i.e. physical and logical security.
Availability of Data– The goal of a data center is to maximize the availability of data and to minimize the downtime. In order to avail this concept redundancy has to be built up in all respects.
Electrical & Power Supply: It should provide the highest power availability with an interrupted powers system.
System Monitoring & Support: Datacenter should provide system support and monitoring in order to provide a more secure environment.
Multiple functions are:
- 24 *7 *365 hrs. Network monitoring.
- Notification to customers for pre-determined events.
- Monitoring for power supply, AC system, fire detection, water detection, generator and UPS,
What are the constituents of Data Center?
- To keep equipment running reliably, even under the worst circumstances.
- These storage center must be built with following infrastructures: Network connectivity with various levels such as fire optic cable, copper cable etc.
- Fire extinguishing system.
- Physical security system: biometric entry system, swipe card, guards etc.
- Network management software.
- Network security: Segregating the public and private network, installing firewalls and IDS.