What Is Telnet
Telnet is a network protocol that is used for virtual access to a computer and to provide a two-way, collaborative, and text-based communication channel between two machines. By using a virtual terminal connection it provides a bidirectional interactive text-oriented communication facility. Telnet provided access to a command-line interface on a remote host.
For creating remote sessions it follows a user command Internet Protocol networking protocol. Telnet, users can log on as regular users with the privileges they are granted to the specific applications and data on that computer.
History Of Telnet
Telnet was developed in 1969. This protocol is used to establish a connection to TCP port number 23, where a Telnet server application is listening. The Telnet protocol is based on the notion of a virtual teletype, employing a 7-bit ASCII character set. Telnet is based on reliable connection-oriented transport.
How Does Telnet Work
Telnet uses the connection over 8 bytes. User data is interspersed in-band with Telnet control information over the transmission control protocol.
The user connects to the server by using the Telnet protocol, which means entering Telnet into a command prompt by following this syntax: telnet hostname port. The user then executes commands on the server by using specific Telnet commands into the Telnet prompt. To end a session and log off, the user ends a Telnet command with Telnet.
You should get the local ip of the host or the router you want to attack telnet 192.168.1.1
Advantages Of Telnet
- It permits the school network to test access from a device to specific ports on an external server
- Router configuration problem fixing is very much easy here since it uses plain text for transfer..
- Configuration elements of networking hardware can be achieved using it.
- The greatest advantage of this software is so as to its consent to remote access to a different computer.
- Makes itself available for many different operating systems.
- It helps save a large amount of time, connectivity establishment, and task accomplishment on different computers very instantly.
- It can be flexibly deployed on any of the computers. Even Different OS can connect each other irrespective of their version and time of release.
Uses Of Telnet
- Telnet can be used to troubleshoot or test web or mail servers, as well as for remote access.
- Enterprise networks to the admission of the host applications.
- Telnet is a computer protocol that provides a two-way communication service between computers over the local area networks and the internet.
- It runs over secure networks for mobile data collection applications.
- There are various text-based games available over Telnet.
- Multiple library catalogs were only reachable through Telnet.
Is Telnet Secure
Telnet is not a secure protocol because it was developed before the mainstream adaptation of the internet, Telnet on its own does not employ any form of encryption, making it outdated in terms of modern security.
Also read :- What is Maltego : A Hidden Information gathering tool MALTEGO.
Also read :- What is CACHE MEMORY? All about it?